Assignment 1: BigCorp Infrastructure
Due Week 10 and worth 250 points
BigCorp is a large multinational firm that produces metal bearings. The company has offices and plants scattered in twenty five (25) cities around the world. The company just acquired a small company, LittleCorp, which produces steel products. LittleCorp has five (5) plants and offices in the United States. Currently, the two (2) companies have separate networks.
You are the Network Engineering Consultant in charge of the network at BigCorp. You have been assigned the task of upgrading all thirty (30) sites between the two (2) companies into one (1) intranetwork. You will provide an implementation plan solution which will meet the needs of redundancy, security, and an optimal addressing and routing solution.
As timely updates from the plants to the offices are important over the network, the Service Level Agreement (SLA) requires 99.99% uptime. The Chief Information Officer (CIO) has assigned you six (6) network analysts and a project manager who will assist you in the implementation plan. The budget for the upgrade is $550,000. Operations at each site must not be interrupted during the upgrade process.
Currently, the companies use a mix of IPv4 and IPv 6 at their sites. You must upgrade all sites to IPv6. LittleCorp is using some less efficient protocols, such as Routing Information Protocol (RIP). BigCorp is using RIPv2. You must upgrade to EIGRP, OSPF, and / or BGP, as appropriate. As part of the plan, you must include a WAN link technology, such as T1, E1, T3, or E3, which will support remote bridging and development of configurations for all the remote routers.
Write a six to ten (6-10) page paper in which you:
- Describe the process of migrating from the old IP addressing scheme to the most recent one in the new infrastructure.
- Describe the process of upgrading the current routing protocols used in the new infrastructure between the sites to include EIGRP, OSPF, and / or BGP.
- Create a network diagram illustrating the routing infrastructure topology. You must include network addressing among the sites and protocols used. Use graphical tools such as Visio, or an open source alternative such as Dia. Note: The graphically depicted solution is not included in the required page length.
- Defend the manner in which your solution will promote an SLA of 99.99% uptime.
- Use at least four (4) quality academic resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and other Websites do not qualify as academic resources.
Your assignment must:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the tile of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Describe security design considerations in routing context for a distributed, mobile, and branch office workforce.
- Explain and develop secure routing strategies based on the Cisco model.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in advanced routing.
- Write clearly and concisely about advanced routing using proper writing mechanics.