Communication and Education to Promote Change
Who provides formal and informal leadership within your practicum setting? What power and/or authority do these individuals hold? How has this influenced planning for and implementing change in the past?
In this Discussion, you analyze the dynamics of your practicum setting with attention toward developing political acumen, which can be highly beneficial in your effort to facilitate evidence-based change. You also consider the need for education and methods that could be used to promote knowledge integration among various stakeholders. As you probe these issues, your goal is to develop strategies for building alliances that would support the successful implementation of the change you are proposing for your practicum experience.
- How would you describe the distribution of formal and informal power, as well as authority, within your practicum setting? Think about the constellation of professional roles. Which ones are most salient for the change you are proposing? Who holds each of these roles? Who else within the organization might have political clout and be able to serve as an ally? What approach would you take to build productive alliances and generate buy-in for your proposed change?
- How do you anticipate that this change would cascade through the environment? What strategies would you employ to generate wide-scale interest and investment in your proposed change, as well as the education necessary for successful adoption? Evaluate specific structures related to communication, training, organizational culture, and other factors that relate to the implementation of sustainable change.
- What kinds of issues related to organizational structure and culture or interpersonal dynamics could pose a challenge for creating buy-in and/or promoting knowledge integration?
- In addition to reviewing this week’s Learning Resources, be sure to speak with individuals in your practicum setting and conduct additional research to enrich your thinking for this Discussion.
By tomorrow Wednesday 3/20/19 2 pm write a minimum of 550 words essay in APA format with at least 3 references (see list or required readings below). Include the level one headers as numbered below:
Post a cohesive response that addresses the following:
1) Based on the specifics of your practicum experience and evidence from the literature, what strategies would you employ to communicate with and educate various stakeholders?
2) How would you engage the support of those with power and authority? Explain how this would facilitate the successful implementation of your proposed evidence-based change.
3) What are potential challenges for knowledge integration? How might you address those challenges?
White, K. M., & Dudley-Brown, S.(2016). Translation of evidence into nursing and health care practice. (2nd ed.) New York, NY: Springer Publishing Company.
· Review Chapter 7, “Translation of Evidence to Improve Clinical Outcomes”
· Review Chapter 13, “Interprofessional Collaboration and Practice for Translation”
White, K. M., Dudley-Brown, S., & Terharr, M. F. (2016). Translation of evidence into nursing and health care practice (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Springer.
· Review Chapter 6, “Translation of Evidence for Leadership”
This chapter addresses the pivotal role of leadership in the translation of evidence into practice.
American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN). (2006). The essentials of doctoral education for advanced nursing practice. Retrieved from http://www.aacn.nche.edu/publications/position/DNPEssentials.pdf
Use the information in this report to guide the formulation of goals for your practicum experience.
Bleich, M. R. (2011). IOM report, The Future of Nursing: Leading Change, Advancing Health: milestones and challenges in expanding nursing science. Research in Nursing & Health, 34(3), 169-170. doi:10.1002/nur.20433
IOM report, The Future of Nursing: Leading Change, Advancing Health: milestones and challenges in expanding nursing science. Research in Nursing & Health by Bleich, M. R., in Research in Nursing & Health, Vol. 34/Issue 3. Copyright 2011 by John Wiley & Sons – Journals. Reprinted by permission of John Wiley & Sons – Journals via the Copyright Clearance Center.
Fleiszer, A. R., Semenic, S. E., Ritchie, J. A., Richer, M., & Denis, J. (2016). Nursing unit leaders’ influence on the long-term sustainability of evidence-based practice improvements. Journal of Nursing Management, 24(3), 309-318. doi:10.1111/jonm.12320
Nursing Unit Leaders’ Influence on the Long-term Sustainability of evidence-based practice improvements by Fleiszer, A.; Semenic, S.; Ritchie, J.; Richer, M.; Denis, J., in Journal of Nursing Management, Vol. 24/Issue 3. Copyright 2016 by John Wiley & Sons – Journals. Reprinted by permission of John Wiley & Sons – Journals via the Copyright Clearance Center.
Greene-Ryan, J. (2016). Creating a community of transformation. Nursing Management, 47(5), 18-21. doi:10.1097/01.NUMA.0000482496.59946.8c
Hauck, S., Winsett, R. P., & Kuric, J. (2013). Leadership facilitation strategies to establish evidence-based practice in an acute care hospital. Journal Of Advanced Nursing, 69(3), 664-674. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2648.2012.06053.x
Kotter, J. P. (2007). Leading change: Why transformation efforts fail. Harvard Business Review, 85(1), 96-103. Retrieved from https://cb.hbsp.harvard.edu/cbmp/pl/57319806/57319860/3d20a24aeeedc7a83d2a918c5013078c
In this foundational reading, Dr. John Kotter discusses errors commonly made as organizations undergo change, and he recommends steps leaders can take to help avoid them.
Nelson-Brantley, H. V., & Ford, D. J. (2017). Leading change: a concept analysis. Journal Of Advanced Nursing, 73(4), 834-846. doi:10.1111/jan.13223
Rose, R., Adams, F., & Johnson, S. (2016). Nurse Led, Nurse Driven Service Lines: How Nurse Leaders Are Navigating Change. Nurse Leader,14195-197.doi:10.1016/j.mnl.2016.03.007
Salmela, S., Eriksson, K., & Fagerström, L. (2012). Leading change: a three-dimensional model of nurse leaders’ main tasks and roles during a change process. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 68(2), 423-433. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2648.2011.05802.x
Sherrod, B., & Goda, T. (2016). DNP-Prepared leaders guide healthcare system change. Nursing Management, (9). 13.
“Looking for a Similar Assignment? Order now and Get 10% Discount! Use Code “Newclient”
The post Communication And Education To Promote Change appeared first on Homework Gig.