to complete midterm #1, you will write a standard long format essay (at least 1000 words, 5-6, pages, 12 point Times New Roman font, double check) to answer the following prompt:
- Compare and contrast the Asian diaspora (Chinese, Japanese, Filipinos) to America starting from the mid-nineteenth century to the 1930s.
Your essay will need to take into consideration for the following documents:
If there be a Chinaman who came to this country when a lad, who has passed through an American institution of learning of the highest grade, who has so fallen in love with American manners and ideas that he desires to make his home in this land, and who, seeing that his countrymen demand one of their own number to be their legal adviser, representative, advocate, and protector, desires to study law, can he be a lawyer? By the law of this nation, he, being a Chinaman, cannot become a citizen, and consequently cannot be a lawyer.
And this statue of liberty is a gift to a people from another people who do not love or value liberty for the Chinese. Are not the [Vietnamese], to whom liberty is as dear as to the French? What right have the French to deprive them of their liberty?
Whether this statute against the Chinese or the statue of liberty will be the more lasting monument to tell future ages of the liberty and greatness of this country, will be known only to future generations.
Liberty, we Chinese do love and adore thee; but let not those who deny thee to us, make of thee a graven image and invite us to bow down to it.
Document #1: Letter from Saum Song Bo (1885) (Links to an external site.)
Document #2: “Chinese Cheap Labor in Louisiana –Chinamen at Work on the Milloudon Sugar Plantation” (1871) (Links to an external site.)
Document #3: “The Yellow Peril” (1895) (Links to an external site.)
Document #4: “Rock Springs Massacre” (1885) (Links to an external site.)
Document #5: Picture Brides Arriving at Angel Island (1910s)
“You declare war with Spain for the sake of Humanity. You announced to the world that your program was to set Cuba free, in conformity with your constitutional principles….you promised us your aid and protection in our attempt to form a government on the principles and after the model of the government of the United States….Joy abounded in every heart, and all went well…until…the Government at Washington…commenced by ignoring all promises that had been made and ended by ignoring the Philippine people, their personality and rights, and treating them as a common enemy….In the face of the world you emblazon humanity and liberty upon your standard, while you cast your political constitution to the winds and attempt to trample down and exterminate a brave people whose only crime is that they are fighting for their liberty.”
Document #6: “Aguinaldo’s Case Against the United States” by a Filipino (North American Review, 1899)
Document #7: Advertisement of the Philippines Exposition at St Louis World’s Fair (1904)
Document #8: Filipinos pose before the ruins of their bombed-out clubhouse in Stockton, California in 1930.
Your grade (150 points) for this assignment will be based on the following criteria:
- Thesis: Present a thesis that makes a historically defensible claim and response to all part of the question. Your thesis must consist of one or more sentences located in the introduction.
- Argument Development: Develop and support a cohesive argument that recognizes and accounts for the historical complexity by explicitly illustrating relationships among historical evidence such as contradictions, corroboration, and/or qualification.
- Use of Documents: Utilize the content of at least six of documents to support the stated thesis or a relevant argument. For every document below the minimum six quota, 20 points will be deducted from your total score.
- Sourcing the documents: Explaining the significance of the author’s point of view, author’s purpose, historical context, and/or audience for at least six documents.
- Contextualization: Situate the argument by explaining the broader historical events, developments, or processes immediately relevant to the question.
- Outside Evidences: Provide examples or additional evidences (key terms/concept from the reading and class lectures) beyond those found in the documents to support your argument.
Submit Your Assignment and get professional help from our qualified experts!
compare and contrast the asian diaspora chinese japanese filipinos to america starting from the mid nineteenth century to the 1930s was first posted on June 27, 2020 at 3:20 am.
©2019 "Submit Your Assignment". Use of this feed is for personal non-commercial use only. If you are not reading this article in your feed reader, then the site is guilty of copyright infringement. Please contact me at email@example.com