As a social worker, you will likely at some point have a client with a positive suicide risk assessment. Many individuals with suicidal ideation also have a plan, and that plan may be imminent. Even when the risk is not urgent at a given moment, current research shows that most suicides occur within 3 months of the risk being assessed within a formal appointment. Ideation can quickly become a suicide.
Chu, J., Floyd, R., Diep, H., Pardo, S., Goldblum, P., & Bongar, B. (2013). A tool for the culturally competent assessment of suicide: The Cultural Assessment of Risk for Suicide (CARS) measure. Psychological Assessment, 25(2), 424–434. doi:10.1037/a0031264
Wexler, L., Chandler, M., Gone, J. P., Cwik, M., Kirmayer, L. J., LaFromboise, T., … Allen, J. (2015). Advancing suicide prevention research with rural American Indian and Alaska Native populations. American Journal Of Public Health, 105(5), 891–899. https://doi-org.ezp.waldenulibrary.org/10.2105/AJPH.2014.302517
Week 3 document Suggested Further Reading for SOCW 6090 (PDF)
Sommers-Flanagan, J., & Sommers-Flanagan, R. (Producers). (2014). Clinical interviewing: Intake, assessment and therapeutic alliance [Video file]. Retrieved from http://www.psychotherapy.net.ezp.waldenulibrary.org/stream/waldenu/video?vid=276
Watch the “Suicide Assessment Interview” segment by clicking the applicable link under the chapters tab. This is the interview with Tommi, which will be used for the Discussion.
For this Discussion, you view an initial suicide risk assessment. As you evaluate the social worker’s actions, imagine yourself in their place. What would you do, and why?
· Explore an evidence-based tool about suicide risk assessment and safety planning.
See the Week 3 document Suggested Further Reading for SOCW 6090 (PDF) for a list of resources to review.
· Watch the “Suicide Assessment Interview” segment in the Sommers-Flanagan (2014) video to assess how it compares to your findings.
Note: If the video does not work, let me know and I will write down the summary of the video as it is a MP4 video file
·research scholarly resources article above in reading: Advancing suicide prevention research with rural American Indian and Alaska Native populations.
Post a response in which you address the following:
· Identify elements of Dr. Sommers-Flanagan’s suicide risk assessment.
· Describe any personal emotional responses you would have to Tommi’s revelations and reflect on reasons you might experience these emotions.
· Describe the elements of safety planning that you would put in place as Tommi’s social worker in the first week and in the first months.
· Identify a suicide risk assessment tool you would use at future sessions to identify changes in her risk level. Explain why you would use this tool.
· Explain any adjustments or enhancements that might be helpful given Tommi’s cultural background.
Support your ideas with scholarly resources and intext citation and references
PLACE THIS ORDER OR A SIMILAR ORDER WITH COLLEGE NURSING PAPERS AND GET AN AMAZING DISCOUNT!
Disccusion Question was first posted on June 28, 2020 at 11:26 pm.
©2019 "College Nursing Papers". Use of this feed is for personal non-commercial use only. If you are not reading this article in your feed reader, then the site is guilty of copyright infringement. Please contact me at [email protected]