Diversities including race, ethnicity, disability, immigration and refugee issues, gender, sexual orientation, poverty, and other factors provide the macro social worker great opportunity for helping communities or organizations gain greater access to justice and resources. Community or organizational change efforts can help diverse communities and populations at risk assert control over their lives.
There may be contemporary social justice issues related to racial, social, and economic justice in your community or organization. These can present various future opportunities for community or social action. In this activity, you will discuss your reaction to several contemporary community or organizational social welfare issues. Additionally, you will reflect on how these social justice issues are relevant given what you have learned about demographics and diversities in your community.
Upon successful completion of this discussion, you will be able to:
- Explore the impact diversity and difference have in working with communities and organizations. (PO 2)
- Explore injustice and oppression within the social environment at local and global levels. (PO 3)
- Video: TEDx: Problem-Oriented Policing: Where Social Work Meets Law Enforcement
- Article: Black Lives Matter: Differential Mortality and the Racial Composition of the U.S. Electorate, 1970–2004
The TEDx video and the Rodriguez and colleagues article highlight how structural and institutional racism affect which at-risk populations can fully engage in community or organizational change efforts, as well as in broader political change. The social stratification theoretical framework presented by Rodriguez and colleagues notes that because at-risk people often belong to different socioeconomic groups, live in different physical spaces, and are exposed to various psychological and physiological stressors, they often can’t fully engage in community or organizational change efforts. Macro social workers must consider these barriers.
- Review the rubric to make sure you understand the criteria for earning your grade.
- Watch the video, “TEDx: Problem-Oriented Policing: Where Social Work Meets Law Enforcement” and/or read the Problem-Oriented Policing Transcript.pdf file.
- Read the article, “Black Lives Matter: Differential Mortality and the Racial Composition of the U.S. Electorate, 1970–2004.”
- Review the assessment criteria in the grading rubric below to understand the grading guidelines for this discussion.
- Navigate to the threaded discussion and respond to the following prompts. Your initial post should be 200 to 300 words long.
- Based on what you observed in the assigned video and reading, what are your thoughts on the program discussed.
- The program in the video is “thinking outside the box”, what is an example of a social action opportunity in your community that would improve understanding among different (diverse) populations (not the intervention you have been writing about in your assignments)
- Reflect on how these social welfare issues affect your community.
Submit Your Assignment and get professional help from our qualified experts!
organizing around diversity was first posted on June 27, 2020 at 3:16 am.
©2019 "Submit Your Assignment". Use of this feed is for personal non-commercial use only. If you are not reading this article in your feed reader, then the site is guilty of copyright infringement. Please contact me at [email protected]