Respond to the following in a minimum of 175 words each question:
In this discussion, you will have an opportunity to make connections between your prior knowledge and the new content you are learning this week. Use your results from this week’s “Build Your Proficiency” Diagnostic to provide context for your prior knowledge and consider the new content about wellness to answer the following questions:
1. What advice would you give to someone that wants to lose weight by reducing their caloric intake, but isn’t sure where to start?
2. How did your results from the “Build Your Proficiency” Diagnostic reflect an understanding, or lack of understanding, about this content?
3. How has your understanding changed this week?
In this activity, you will view pictures and consider how the images pertain to the concepts covered in this week’s assigned readings. Consider your responses to the Think Critically questions.
4. Visualizing Nutrition, what is Happening in This Picture?
These children, who live in Russia, are being exposed to UV radiation to prevent vitamin D deficiency.
A) Why does this treatment help them meet their need for vitamin D?
B) Why are children in Russia at risk for vitamin D deficiency?
C) What else could be done to ensure that they get adequate amounts of vitamin D?
5. Visualizing Nutrition, what is Happening in This Picture?
This photo shows astronaut Pete Conrad riding a stationary bike during his 28-day stay aboard Skylab in 1973. Weight-bearing exercise and adequate nutrient intake are important for the maintenance of bone.
A) Why is scheduled exercise even more important for bone health in space than it is on Earth?
B) What nutrient other than calcium might be of particular concern for bone health in an astronaut? Why?